Galentine’s Day is a holiday to celebrate your girlfriends the day before Valentine’s Day.
Just what we all need…another reason to splurge this winter.
February is a month where chocolate is plentiful, date nights out are common, and the cold weather has you searching for some comfort food.
When dining out this time of year, here are some tips to help you balance treats and your waistline:
- Decline the dessert menu: When the server asks if you would like to see a dessert menu, say no. Usually if one says no at the table, the rest will follow. If your party agrees, then you can resist temptation by not looking at the dessert menu.
- Order something: If your party is ordering dessert then order a hot tea or some fresh fruit to help you avoid caving to the temptations of dessert.
- Be choosy: If I order dessert at a restaurant then I am going to pick something I really want. My friend Jenn and I celebrated Galentine’s Day at The Half Nelson, and we shared their amazing bread pudding. Many of my friends recommended the bread pudding, and I knew that it would be worth the calories.
- Share: 2 spoons, please! Sharing a dessert with a friend or better yet many friends allows you to get a taste but reduce your calorie intake substantially. Jenn and I shared the bread pudding and brought home left overs for our husbands to enjoy.
- Balance your day: If you are going out for Galentine’s or Valentine’s day then make sure to hit the gym, workout at home, or bundle up for a run or walk before you splurge later in the day. A healthy lifestyle is all about balance. You can still enjoy the desserts if you plan ahead!
|Meet Jeni Tackett, Let’s Move Quad Cities Nutrition Blogger. Jeni is a registered and licensed dietitian for Rock Valley Health. Jeni counsels her clients on weight loss and nutrition. You can read Jeni’s bio and other blog posts by clicking here.|